Blog Archive

Friday, October 20, 2017

Day 17: Favorite Age

Hello again! Happy New week.

Its Day 17 of the 31 days challenge and I am using the prompt given by Writers Write to help me write for this challenge and let me tell you this- the prompts are amazing! You can follow them om twitter at Writers_Write for daily prompts.


Today's prompt is to write about my character's favorite age and what happened then that made the year so memorable.


Best Gift Ever

Twenty years ago on this very day my favorite aunt, Celia told me something that changed my life. It was my fifteenth birthday and I was in my room, dressed in shabby clothes, crying. Aunt Celia walked in bringing with her a lovely fragrance that belonged to her alone. 

"Iris, my child!" she exclaimed gathering me close to her. I sobbed harder and clutched her tight. She was that one person whom I loved the most. I could share anything and everything with her and she would never judge me. Others thought she was arrogant and hardheaded but to me she was an angel. 

"Tell me whats wrong." aunt Celia ordered pushing a tissue into my hand. She hated to see me cry. 

"Aunt Celia! Mom and dad think I am wasting my time drawing even when I get A's in all subjects. My classmates think I am boring and ugly, my friends say my designs are worthless. And my teachers think I am careless. Am I that bad?" I asked her blowing my nose. 

"Idiots, each one of them. And those people whom you call friends, they are useless. Don't worry about your parents I'll handle them." she replied. 

"But Aunt Celia..." I began.

"Listen to me Iris. And open this first." she said thrusting a box into my hands. I opened it to see a delicate bracelet inside. It looked familiar and when clipped it on my wrist I gasped. It was one of my favorite designs. 

Satisfied with my reaction, Aunt Celia smiled and said as she lifted my hand so that the bracelet glittered in the streaming sunlight. "This spark is inside you Iris. Never let anybody tell you otherwise. Do you know my our relatives don't like me? It is because I followed my heart instead of their words. They wanted to mold me, I resisted and fought. Now they fear me because I throw the truth in their faces."

I agreed with the last part. Aunt Celia's success made them wary. "Yes, Iris. You are who you are. Do not let anybody change you. The best return gift you can give me is to be true to yourself. Will you, dear?" she asked gently.

I nodded. I could never deny her anything. I knew this would be tough but I promised and I would fulfill it.  Now I own the largest chain of designer wear stores and belong to the top 5 famous designers in the world while she, my aunt Celia remains my favorite model and critic. My collections are named Chance Fifteen. 

Hope you enjoyed reading this story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment