Blog Archive

Monday, October 16, 2017

Day 14: Missing a Person

Hello again! Happy Weekend.

Its Day 14 of the 31 days challenge and I am using the prompt given by Writers Write to help me write for this challenge and let me tell you this- the prompts are amazing! You can follow them om twitter at Writers_Write for daily prompts.

Well the prompt for today is to write about missing a person. The feelings are usually jumbled when we miss someone and also our relationship with them determines the extent of the impact they have on us. And again we could miss someone who is alive and away from us for a period of time, or someone whom we know can never be with us, or they could be in the other world.

With many options, I need to find a scenario for my short fiction to be able to rightly convey the feeling. Time to start thinking!



Pages in a Diary

I don't remember what day it is or which month this is. All they know is that it has been ten years, five months, eleven days and fourteen hours since we last met. 

I remember you saying you'll be back soon, that the distance will hardly matter; but where are you now?

I remember how close you held me, I was barely able to breathe. Yet I held you even closer when you said its only a year and you'll be with me again on the 366th day. You haven't come back till date.

I think of how your eyes glistened with tears as you kissed my forehead. I felt I was home. But you had to go, you said. "Mark my words honey, I'll be with you before you begin to miss me." you teased, coaxing a smile from me. All I am left with now are tears. You took my smile with you and it refuses to come back without you. 

Do you know how empty it is? Do you know I feel nothing except for gut-wrenching pain? It is the kind that chips away at my heart, a tiny piece at a time. I'm afraid! Afraid that one day you'll come back and won't find my heart. What if it gets completely destroyed by then?  What if you cannot collect all those tiny pieces? What if those pieces are not important for you anymore?

So many questions haunt me each day, each hour, each second. It's a wonder I'm not mad, but then again maybe I am! I that why you haven't come back to me? I promise not to be crazy. I promise I will save those chipped pieces for you. But come back soon, will you. Can you, ever?


Thank you for reading. I've decided to be deliberately vague in the above story by not giving any other details of the character. I am leaving everything to the reader's imagination. My main focus above was to bring out the ramblings on a pained heart. Hope I've done justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment