Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

My Favorite Window

Credit: Ratna Pochiraju

How I wait
For the night to darken
For the moon to shine
For the silver rays to illuminate
The lone creeper
Curled around the rusty iron rod

Tonight, I gasp
Watching in delight
As a single white flower blooms
Winking at my surprise
Pleased with the attention I lavish

Contrasting the inky night
The creeper flourishes
Promising to give me more flowers
As the moon waxes & wanes
While the seasons glide by

Every night I stand
My fingers resting on the window
My eyes staring into the dark
As the breeze tickles my hair
And the creeper whispers secrets

With no door to close
The window lies open
Gifting me light, rain, and wind
Dried leaves and torn flowers
Laughter, cries, and shrieks
Of the world outside
That never accepted me
As one of their own.

********
For more poems, check out Violets in Hand
For a dose of horror, check out the latest book onboard Route 13: Highway to Hell. The book is free on KU.
#AtoZChallenge 2020 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter M

Read the other poems here
*****
Are you a writer? Here’s a great opportunity to get published. The Hive is inviting submissions for their next anthology. To know more details, click here.

23 comments:

  1. The world's acceptance is dependent on our acceptance. But i loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Srivalli. When no doors are opened, then only a window can bring wind rain and light to our lives. Such a deep and profound thought!! Really it will remain like an echo in my mind. Beautifully penned dear. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poems are so soul-stirring. I could just envision through your words. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took us right inside their mind. A poignant piece indeed.

    M is for ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A poignant poem and so beautifully painted with words.
    Questions: Is Ratna Pochiraju the artist who paints these sublime watercolours?
    Do you write inspired by her paintings or does she paint inspired by your words?
    The jugalbandi of your words and her art is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arti.
      Yes, she is the painter. I write inspired by her paintings. Some paintings are a few years old. There is something about her brush that always inspires me. <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you Srivalli.
      Could I please have her contact details if it's okay?
      I'd like to ask her about the Krishna painting.

      Delete
  6. The painting is beautiful. :-) So are the words. The outside world, always has tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, P. Yes, it does. Not all good ones too.

      Delete
  7. As long as the window is open doesn't matter if the doors are closed. As long as the rain, sun, wind, laughter is reaching doesn't matter a few shrieks and tears....As long as there is a single flower doesn't matter if there are not more by the hour... As long as the one by the window is one of her own doesn't matter if the world disowned :)!!

    Another beautiful poem accompanied by an equally beautiful painting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You summed up the poem wonderfully. Thank you, Ira. <3

      Delete
  8. Beautiful imagery.. I love that the window is open..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really poignant SR. The image is so apt.

    ReplyDelete