Blog Archive

Friday, April 30, 2021

Zoom into Zaheerabad- It's Zen Time

Sri Ketaki Sangameswara Swamy Temple, Jharasangam, Zaheerabad- Telangana

One of the oldest Shiva mandirs

The only one where Ketki flowers are used

To worship Prabhu Shiva as the Shiv ling was first found 

Under the same tree and the aalyam was built around it 

With no proper history to determine the origin 

People say, King of Surya Vamsha, Raja Kupendra 

Suffered from a skin disease that had no cure 

One day during his trip to a forest 

He bathed in a stream near Ketaki Vanam 

And his disease was cured, much to his surprise 

The legend goes on to say that Prabhu Shiva 

Appeared in the king’s dream 

Asking him to build a mandir for the Shiv ling

There is a pushkarini on the premises

Came to be known as astha theertha amruta gundam* 

And called as Dakshina Kasi*

The locals say that the prasadam you offer in the gundam 

Flows through a hole on the side and disappears 

Only to reach the Holy Ganges in Kasi 


Picture of Ketki Flower: 
Source: Vaividyamu
************

Note: 

Pushkarini- holy water body in a temple

Dakshina Kasi- South Kasi (Kasi is a famous and ancient land in UP)

Astha theertha amruta gundam- the water in the holy pond is said to come from 8 Holy places 

Ketki flower is not used as an offering to Prabhu Shiva. This place is an exception. The flower has exotic fragrance and medicinal values. It also attracts snakes because of the scent it releases. 

***************************************************************************

Sri Siddi Vinayaka Temple, Rejinthal, Zaheerabad- Telangana

The mandir might look fresh and new 

But it has a history of 215 years 

And the murti of Ganesha facing the South 

A mere rock in striking orange 

Was found inside the earth waiting for the right time 

When HH Shiva Ram Bath Jyoshi from Maharashtra 

On his way to Tirupati prayed to Ganesha 

In this spot 

Source: Hindupad

Another time, a tourist named Shivram Pantulu

Touring the holy places in the region

Reached Rejinthal and found immense happiness and inner peace

During his meditation 

He is said to have seen Ganesha 

Who asked him to construct the mandir 

The mandir gained fame as Siddhi Vinakaya 

The one who grants your wishes when pleased 

By your bhakti

The Vinayaka here resembles Hanuman 

And grows larger every year, inch by inch 

The pictures from the past 

Lay proof to the claim


*******************************

Note: 

I wholeheartedly thank my school teacher, Lakshmi mam, for suggesting the place when I asked for help with the letter Z. The surprising point here is that these two are the only temples I visited on my entire list. It was a couple of years ago, and somehow, I couldn’t even connect them to the alphabet until my teacher mentioned Zaheerabad. 

Some of the pictures in the post are mine, though, as you can see, I should have paid more attention to temple photography. 

*****************************************************************************

Source: 

https://telanganatourism.gov.in/partials/destinations/divine-destinations/medak/sri-ketaki-sangameswara-swamy-temple.html

https://highwayonlyway.com/tag/ketaki-sangameswara-swamy-temple/

https://rslaks.blogspot.com/2018/08/jharasangam-ketaki-sangameshwar.html

http://mydhiliram.blogspot.com/2014/10/sri-siddhi-vinayaka-temple-zaheerabad.html

https://templeatindia.blogspot.com/2014/08/sri-swayambhu-siddhivinayak-temple-rejinthal.html

*******************************************************************************

#FreeHinduTemples



15 comments:

  1. These orange statues of Ganesha and Hanuman look beautiful always

    https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/z-for-zoo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Ganesha only. He resembles Hanuman in this temple. :)

      Delete
  2. I was about to google Ketaki flower when I saw the picture. Never seen one before. It's beautiful.
    Although I've heard of Sidhi Vinayak, but never seen the pics.
    Thank you for organising a Bharat darshan of temples this month Sri. It's been a super experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, di. My pleasure totally.
      I didn't add the picture at first, but realized even I wasn't sure how it looked. I only saw the individual petals which are sometimes sold outside temples. :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing this beautiful temple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that beautiful! :-D Way to end the challenge. My greetings to your teacher.

    I can see the efforts you have put in each day. I am sure it must be a satisfying experience altogether.

    Thank you for doing this. It was an amazing journey to reader. I have missed the initial few. I shall try my best to catch up.

    Congratulations. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, P. :D
      It was indeed very satisfying to complete the series. Once I write the conclusion post, I'll feel even good.
      Thank you once again, and most welcome. I loved this A-Z more than anything else.

      Delete
  5. The first thing that came to my mind-Ketaki? what does it look like? and there was a picture!
    Beautiful Srivalli. I feel I have taken this journey with your posts. Will definitely visit some of them. Congratulations for completing the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Arti, for being my fellow traveler on this Temple Trail. :)
      I understood having a picture of the flower would help visualize it better (even for me). :D

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful temples tour, it was beautiful to look and interesting to read. Well done!
    Congratulations for completing the challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Frederique, for visiting my blog and joining me on my temple trail. :)

      Delete
  7. Never heard of this temple and stories behind it. Thanks for introducing me to this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many matrimony compatibility services offered by our Astro Thoughts Astrologer more accurately & precisely than anyone-Thirumana porutham online

    ReplyDelete