Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

A Letter to the Last House Before the Sea- Book Review

A Letter to the Last House Before the Sea by Liz Eeles

(Heaven's Cove #2) Standalone

Publication Date: 19th May 2021

Genre: Women’s Fiction, Small Town, Romance

4.2 Stars

Lettie Starcross goes to Heaven’s Cove to find the truth from the past her great-grandaunt, Iris, was never able to when she was alive. Lettie is the first guest at Driftwood House (belonging to Rosie from book 1).

The setting is magical, but the path to the past is filled with difficulties. Trying to stand up for herself and get mowed by her ‘affectionate’ family, Lettie uncovers her beloved aunt’s tragic love story, one step at a time.

Of course, we have Corey, a handsome fisherman, his grandmother Florence, the only link to the past, and Claude, an old loner who slowly begins to trust Lettie.

When I saw the cover, I realized that I read book one and rather liked it. I had to read this too. For me, this book was better than the previous one. There was a sense of tension that held the plot together, which I rather missed in book one.

The author continues to use the setting to the best advantage. We see the crashing waves, the rocky hills, slopes, and the changing skies. As someone who when loves nature is a tangible element of the story, this interweaving of surroundings with the plotline makes me happier.

The characters were very developed, though Corey’s character could have been explored more. It had a lot of potential. Claude was fantastic (yeah, I’m an old soul and connect more with characters aged over 70). The scenes between him and Lettie were beautiful to read.

I did wish Lettie to be more assertive with her family. But there has been some progress that feels more realistic.

Overall, this is a beautiful book set in a picturesque setting. Some of it is cliché, but it’s still a feel-good book and will leave you with a smile. The author mentions that she’s working on book 3 of the series, and I’m looking forward to grabbing that one as well. 

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Bookouture. 

 ***

P.S: I'd have loved it if Lettie was called by her full name, Violet, instead of the short version. It seemed to suit her more.

#ALettertotheLastHouseBeforetheSea #NetGalley 

2 comments: