Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Travel to Quepem in Goa

Shri Damodar Temple, Zambaulim Village, Quepem- Goa

The Portuguese inquisition

How can we ever forget? 

The torture, the conversions, and the deaths

During the turbulent period on 1565

Stood a temple of Prabhu Damodar

An incarnation of Prabhu Shiva

That was torn down to build

The Holy Spirit Church in Margo-

The pride of Goa standing on the ruins of another’s belief 

The murti of Prabhu Damodar was saved

Moved to another location

By the Mahajans of Madgon;

Oh, not one or two

But all the local deities-

Shri Ramnath, Prabhu Damodar, Laxmi-Narayan

Chamundeswari, Mahakali, and Prabhu Mahesh

Carried in safety to Zambaulim;

Too intolerant aren’t we?

Not even allowing the invaders

To bury our faith forever 

Shri Damodar mandir belongs to the Gowda Saraswat Brahmins

Who have been caring for it for years

Inside the mandir are the murtis

Of Prabhu Lakshmi Narayana Devi Chamundeshwari, and Prabhu Shiva

Shigmo, a yearly festival

A celebration of Goa Hindu spring

Lasts for a week at this mandir

Colorful and bright, it spreads happiness and bhakti

Source: Swarajyamag
*************
Note: 
I would like to thank my school teacher, Lakshmi mam, and her husband for giving me insights to find more information about the temple. 

*********************************************************************************

Source: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shri_Damodar_Temple 

http://hindutemples-india.blogspot.com/2020/01/damodar-temple-zambaulim-goa.html

https://www.thegoavilla.com/goa/distanation/south-goa-damodar-temple.html

*********************************************************************************

If you want to know more about the Goan Inquisition, check this video: 


*****************
***************************************************************

#FreeHinduTemples




10 comments:

  1. I was so happy to read, for me, 'Goa-Never-This-Way' perspective. :-D

    I enjoyed reading this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, P. :) Until recently, I wasn't aware that Goa still has many beautiful temples.

      Delete
  2. Oh for some reason I have never really visited any temples in Goa. I have always gone to different churches and shrines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I wasn't aware that Goa still has many beautiful temples. Got to know only last year.

      Delete
  3. All the information I read here is new to me. I've never been to Goa. Putting these temples on my list for when we do go.

    Thank you.

    What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been either, but I've been reading bits and pieces about Goan history. I read the message. Getting to in a bit. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yeah, this one is relatively new and there are no papers of for the time before 1880ish. And not even a single picture of the original temple either.

      Delete
  5. I have been to the temple which houses these murtis now in Goa... When I saw the pictures I thought in my head oh I have seen this... But when I read that the original temple in its original place was torn down I was taken aback... I didn't know this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure visited quite a few temples on my list. :D
      Not many know about the original temple. That's the saddest part. :(

      Delete