Blog Archive

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche- Book Review

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche by Nancy Springer

Publication Date: 31st August 2021
Genre: Historical Mystery, Young Adult, Holmes Fan Fiction

4.3 Stars

It sure feels like I’m living under a rock when I didn’t even know about the existence of Enola Holmes and the past 6 cases she solved. Nor was I aware of the movie released last year that led to another book in the series after more than 10 years.

But I’m glad to have redeemed my mistake. All the previous books are in my TBR now. I may watch the movie, though I’ll read the book first.

Thankfully, this book starts with a brief recap covering the series. It’s narrated by none other than Sherlock. The author had done justice to his character and retained most of his grumpiness and dry humor.

Enola is now fifteen and ready to take on a case again. Her banter with Sherlock is fun to read. Enola steps in and takes over the case when Letitia Glover goes to Sherlock for help.

What else can she do when her brother is having one of his bouts again, and the poor Miss Glover was worried for her twin sister? The case doesn’t have too many twists and turns and comes to a satisfactory ending. Enola does her share of sleuthing, going undercover, getting caught, escaping, and finally working with her experienced brother to solve the case together. Viscount Tewky and Dr. Watson are roped in to play their roles.

Written for the YA audience, the book is mostly lighthearted. But it does have a couple of disturbing scenes. The author presented them well, so that shouldn’t really be a problem.

To conclude, I totally enjoyed reading this book. If you are a fan of mysteries, the Victorian era, resourceful heroines, and the YA genre, this one is for you. And hey, it’s got Sherlock too!

I received an ARC from NetGalley and St. Martin's Press/ Wednesday Books. 

#NetGalley #EnolaHolmes 

4 comments:

  1. I like mystery stories. I might get down to reading this, once I am done with the book I am reading now - Anita Nair's Ladies Coupe. Thank you this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. :) Oh, sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
      Happy reading.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the nice review. I look it up.

    ReplyDelete