Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Bake the Cake

After not making it to the voting in the last week's challenge, I was a tad disappointed. But then my piece was read and enjoyed by some of the fellow writers and that made me feel a lot better. I know I am still in the early stages of writing and yes, I do tend to jump tenses at times.

So does that mean I am going to stop writing? No way! It only means I'll have to concentrate and work harder. Which is why I am taking up writing creative non-fiction again this week.

The underlying theme for this week is to keep trying and the first thing I remembered when I read the write up was about my disasters in trying to bake a cake in the microwave.

Unlike the households in other countries, in India we did not have built-in oven in the kitchen. The trend began with the increasing number of people taking interest in baking cakes & bread at home and it is fast becoming a standard feature.

It was during my early college days that we brought home a microwave and it sat in a corner, dressed in an old curtain cloth. Indian cooking doesn't really need a microwave and the person who came to give us the demo told us about reheating and preset recipes most of which were non-vegetarian.

We were totally disappointed. It looked like we had absolutely no use for it! Month after month I would look at it not knowing what to do. I searched on the internet, wrote down recipes and tried using the poor thing, but I ended up being the poor thing. They were absolute disasters and I thought I was better off using the cooker cake mix to make cakes at home.

But.... the microwave should have some use (we do not reheat food) and I kept trying asking people for tips and ideas. I hit gold when I posted the same query in a foodie group in Facebook and a kind lady explained to me the different types of microwaves(mine is just MW & grill). She gave me the approximate time settings and encouraged me to keep trying. For half an hour in an OTG the microwave takes around 5-7 mins.

Honestly, my parents were reluctant but I got stubborn and they gave in eventually. I messed up a few more cakes and even bread (it ended up looking like a ball of dough). Another round of hunting the internet began and it was then that I realized; not cakes can be made in the MW and definitely not breads.

A simple recipe caught my eye and finally I got a decent chocolate cake. It was kind of mushy though, but at least we could eat it.

I kept trying, reading stuff and making adjustments in power and time settings. Gradually, the efforts began to pay off. I still mess up at times, the cake turns out too dry or hard, but most of them come out fairly decent. I tried numerous recipes but my most favorites are the egg less chocolate cake by KK (a fellow member of the foodie group), semolina banana chocolate cake, paan (betel) flavored cake which I am proud to say is my creation. (I used a butterscotch cake recipe and moved things around). Also I discovered how the cakes taste much better the next day as the flavors intensify. I now have the confidence to use whole wheat flour, sorghum flour or finger millet flour to substitute the bleached all purpose flour in cakes. (It is comparatively healthy!)

My latest cake was an egg less Christmas cake with nuts soaked in rum (first time again). It was soft and a touch dense though the color was a pale brown (MW doesn't change the color of the batter. There will not be any golden top to drool at.)

This is the image of a semolina chocolate banana cake. 


18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you came back to try again. Between writing and cakes, you show great perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)
      I totally understand how it feels. Let's keep trying and get back on the list. Good luck to you. :)

      Delete
  2. I learned to write by trial and error and it's still hard for me. Don't give up! Also, I want a slice of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I am learning the same way.
      Sure.
      Only if technology was advanced enough to share food in real, it would have made me much happier. ;)

      Delete
  3. I’m glad you came back because so did I. Ended up last on non-fiction and I’m there again :)
    On the microwave, I use the convection mode to make wheat cakes with jaggery and they turn out well. That’s the one I keep baking for my special occasions. I also reheat a lot and then roast peanuts, or bake potatoes for aaloo parathas. It’s easy and non-messy. Koftas too at my end aren’t fried. So yes, google helps and some imagination. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Mine sadly does not have a convection mode. We did not know when we purchased it. The roasting sounds awesome. I'll try it soon.
      Wheat and jaggery cakes and totally yummy and healthy. :) Keep experimenting.

      Delete
  4. Srivalli, don't you worry! I am here, with you.
    I began baking in an oven that had been lying unused for quite some time. My cakes turned out poorly, as did my cookies. But, you know, it's practice that helps us better our craft. And, it's the same about writing. I too submitted a post here which I thought was pretty decent, until I realised (thanks to the constructive criticism I received here, at Yeah Write) that I need to work real hard at improving my writing.
    So, keep going, girl. Make mistakes and learn from them, and one day you will reach your goal!
    WIsh you the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much dear Shilpa :)
      You are absolutely right. The important thing is to keep trying.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear you're sticking with the writing! That's the only way to improve - to keep practicing. Microwave cooking can be so hard to master!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shilpa's right - this is a great metaphor for writing, and a good reminder that we all get better with practice. Also, that trying something new can lead to something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your spirit. YES, INDEED, stick to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! On both the writing and the cake. It all takes practice, and having a thick skin will help. Keep persevering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you've come back. I enjoyed reading about your baking endeavours. You have a lovely voice in this and a nice humour to your writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so pleased you persisted! As others have said, writing is a skill that needs exercise, in the same way (as you discovered) baking does. I'm looking forward to reading more from you and watching you develop as a writer.

    Using a microwave to make your cakes is really inventive. My cousins are still taking their cake mix to the local baker for that process!

    ReplyDelete