Blog Archive

Saturday, December 2, 2017

IBMC #08: Nursery Rhyme

Hello again!

We are into Day #08 of the challenge, and this is a pretty interesting one. I've got to take a nursery rhyme and give it a new interpretation. Sounds fun, I know. But it needed some research to get things sorted out.

Firstly, each rhyme has a backstory of its own, and I needed to know that before I choose a rhyme. That was when I realized that a good number rhymes have a dark history attached, and we need not actually teach our children those rhymes. Why on earth would I want my child to sing a poem/ rhyme that talks about old England history? I'd rather have them listen and learn the poems we have in our native languages.

Alright, I am deviating from the topic here, so getting back to the challenge. I chose Humpty Dumpty as my rhyme. It was my favorite as a child. I remember the image of an egg-shaped person sitting on a wall and laughing.
But the history of the rhyme is that it was written (supposedly) about King Richard III of England, (now you see what my rant above was all about!) who fell off his horse in the Battle of Bosworth and his enemies hacked him into pieces (gross). He was so mutilated that his men couldn't put his body together and probably left him on the battlefield.

If I were to interpret this rhyme I would rather deal with live humans than dead bodies. So here, my Humpty Dumpty is going to be a person's attitude. Yeah! That sounds good.
Sitting on the wall is cool and fine (wall here is a border, and sitting on a wall implies how some people keep changing sides in any argument to stay with the winner) until their truth comes out, and they are literally pushed aside. Who would want an opportunist to be with them, anyway? They are the most dangerous kind. Well, then this opportunist gets detected and pushed down the wall, and nobody wants to catch them either. So they fall, break their ego or whatever. If, by chance, any optimist wants to help them, it would probably be too late by then. If it is not, I feel sad for the optimist. Some people never learn, and they should be left to deal with their mess alone.


With this half baked interpretation, I end my post for this challenge. I promise I will try and revise it one day. If you wish to read the other posts related to the marathon, visit the Main Post.



2 comments:

  1. Most of the poems have dark background.

    I like the way you played with new interpretation. :-)

    ReplyDelete