Blog Archive

Monday, April 8, 2024

The Heart of Winter by Shona Kinsella - Book Review

Publication Date: 16th April 2024 

Genre: Historical Fantasy 

3.5 Stars (rounding up coz Cailleach gets the respect she deserves) 

One Liner: Great start but almost negates its own premise 

Young Brigit may be a crofter’s daughter but loves her life with her parents and her independence. When she is forced to marry Aengus, the God of Summer, to keep a bargain, she flees the village. Brigit has always loved and worshipped Cailleach, the God of Winter. Who else but Cailleach, the god who needs no man, can save Brigit? 

However, Brigit soon realizes her journey is not easy. She will have to push beyond her limits repeatedly to get what she wants – freedom but also the safety of her village. Can Brigit be successful? What will it cost her? 

The story comes in the third-person POV of Brigit (more), Cailleach, and Aengus. 

My Thoughts: 

I requested this book for Brigit (the spelling). Of course, I was curious to see where the plot would lead. 

The book has a solid start despite the clear modern influence on the FMC. I quite enjoyed the dynamics and her relationship with her parents. They were wonderful! 

The next was good, too, as Brigit goes on a quest to get what she wants, or rather avoid something she doesn’t want! There’s enough repetition for us to understand that her objection lies with how they didn’t ask for her consent before making a promise on her behalf. 

Cailleach was terrific. And I love that she is not the demonized version of the Winter Goddess but a softer and more sensible version. After all, winter is just as important for the world as summer and monsoon.  

The pacing is on the slower side, even though it feels like not much has happened. This could be due to the repetition. Moreover, the cozy vibes take the edge off the urgency of the situation. 

I love the two wolves! They are the best part of the story. 

Of course, I admire how the old gods are shown in a positive light (Aengus did get some hard times, which seems unfair once you see what happens afterward). It’s a relief from having to read about angry and vengeful pagan gods (one reason why I stay away from all those retellings and YA fantasy). 

I also like the bit of foreshadowing, which connects to a later development. The clue is in the name. While adults were the ones guiding the girl, I didn’t find it odd. They are more experienced. It makes sense that they take the role of mentors. 

What I didn’t like much was how a development negated the premise. I think it could have been better handled. Because if this happened at the beginning, the book wouldn’t have a chance to exist. I understand the need to change power dynamics, which is why I wanted this development to be independent of the core premise (this is how it reads when you don’t want to reveal spoilers).

There’s no denying the potential of the premise. It just needs better structuring to ensure the elements included stay valid throughout. Still, I appreciate the respect given to the old gods. I also hope the final and published copy has the author’s note. This book needs one. Add it! 

To summarize, The Heart of Winter is a heartwarming story of Brigit and her connection with the Celtic gods. While it is not fantastic, it made me smile many times. 

The title works on multiple levels. Good job, whoever came up with it! 

Thank you, Book Sirens and Flame Tree Press, for eARC. This review is voluntary and contains my honest opinion about the book. 

***

TW: Miscarriage

***

Here's a short story I wrote about Brigit for a writing challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment