Blog Archive

Monday, May 3, 2021

Reflections- A to Z Challenge 2021- Temple Trail

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for being a part of my A to Z journey this year. Compared to the previous two years, this one took a lot of work, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. The theme, Temple Trail, a tour across India to discover various ancient (& not-so-ancient) Hindu temples, has been satisfying in ways I cannot explain. 

I was apprehensive when I began and wondered if I’d be able to do justice to the theme. I’m still doubtful. But I do know that my posts have thrown fresh light on some of the most amazing structures in the country. 

From temples dating back the first century to recent temples built exclusively on donation money, my virtual travel made me appreciate the beauty of my land even more. 

How can I not mention my friends who read my posts, shared their experiences, and supported me throughout the month? Also, the new friends I’ve made kept cheering for me and encouraging me all the way. 

Some of them have shared their pictures with me, while a couple of them have shared their personal experiences. I treasure them all in my heart and will share a few in this post. I met Ira Mishra during last year A to Z Challenge and fell in love with her poems. This year was no different, though I can say each of her poems is a masterpiece on its own. The flow, the tone, the mood, and the subtle message blend perfectly in her works. 

Ira also happens to be the only reader who has visited several places on my list. I could give her a trophy for being at the top of the list. This dear girl has shared a couple of pictures from her trip to the Konark Temple in Odisha. 

*****

There is another person I had met last year, and her posts have a permanent place in my heart. This year, we graduated further, and she has become my di (elder sister). Arti di writes prose and poetry with the same flair and warmth. Her words are full of emotions, straight from the heart. 

Di is close behind Ira and has written about her experiences in a couple of the places I mentioned in my blogs. You must read about her Brihadeeswara visit and her musings from the Modhera trip. Do you know Arti di has a special connection with the Shore temple in Mahabalipuram? Her visit to the place includes a life-changing, enriching moment she treasures deep inside her heart. That she shared the details with me (and a couple of pictures) means so much to me!

*****

Last year, I’ve met another Arti; Arti Punjabi, who writes flash fiction on social topics. She does it with such finesse, you'd wonder when the story ended and left you reeling. She doesn’t preach. She doesn’t need to. Her pieces hit you right in the gut without taking the moral high ground. 

*****

After gawking at Frederique’s quilts last year, I was more than curious to see what she’d share this time around. Her series to recycle and reuse items we usually throw away made me determined to try at least a couple of them (and not mess up). 

This year, I met Meena, who from her Balcony where the early morning sun shines warm and loving, joined me on the virtual tour now and then. And guess what? Her last year’s A to Z Challenge was about a religious trip to one of the places I’ve written. This year, she took us all to her childhood and ours, bringing back the memories of times when playing in the mud was bliss and running around barefoot was the only thing we ever wanted. 

*****

I also met Jayashree, who chose Harry Potter as her theme! I'm the farthest thing from a Potterhead and was worried about what I’d say on her posts. But there was no reason to worry. Jayashree wove multiple threads and brought HP and life experiences together in a delightful series. 

*****

Prakash (or P, as I like to call him) and I met sometime during our NaNoWriMo mad month in 2017(?). He was one of the municipal liaisons who cheered us newbie writers to finish the draft of our novels. He specializes in crisp and poignant poetic pieces, which you can find on his blog. This year, he went on an international trip (virtually, of course) while I took the Indian route. 

*****

The Sunday VisitorSGPradeep NairPooja Priyamvada, and a few others were occasional guests who left an impression or two during the month. 

*****

 I long the post is already too long, but I have to mention my friends who cheered on Facebook. I also got a few pictures from a couple of them. 

Alipi Das, thank you for being my constant support during the month. 

Vaiju Panchal, Ruchita Jain, Anitha Padanattil, Jaya Pillai, Tanima (my Trumpy girl), Anushu, Moonmoon… ladies, your love and support means a lot to me. 

This cutie here is Anshu, on a family trip to Jwalamukhi and the nearby hill station. The instant I saw this picture, I knew I had to share it. A writer, blogger, and chef, she makes drool-worthy cookies, cakes, and jams using natural ingredients in her Soul Kitchen. She's also my teammate and a beekeeper at The Hive Publishers, a non-traditional publishing collective for short story anthologies. 

*****

Ruchita, a lovely poetess with a beautiful heart, has shared pictures from a family trip to Jwalamukhi

*****

Lakshmi mam, my school teacher, called me when the challenge began and encouraged me to keep going. I sent her an SOS for the letter Z, and if you’ve read the post, you’ll know how much talking to her helped me. Your teacher will always have your back, right? 

*****

Before I go on and on and on, I’m going to end my post with a big, big thank you to everyone who were with me during the journey. 

***** 

I would like to end my post with a link to a post about another ancient temple. I read Ruchi Pritam's post in Indic Book Club and knew I had to mention it here. She wrote about a small town called Uttiramerur in Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu, where the temple walls were carved with detailed instructions about the democratic electing practices followed by the Cholas and Pallavas. 

 Let’s meet again soon. <3 

Stay safe and take care of your health. 

Mask on, readers.  

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely mention dear Srivalli, I feel all grown up and immensely loved with my new title;)
    Your temple trails have added years of exploration to my list of future travels and this post has made me curious about a couple of blogs I didn't get a chance to visit in April.
    Keep writing and inspiring.
    Stay safe and healthy.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, di. So happy to have met you last year.
      I hope you get to visit all the places on your list and make loads and loads of new memories. Hugs. <3

      Delete
  2. I loved your Temple trail, you posted about some truly lovely buildings.
    Well done on finishing the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your posts, poems and beautiful photos of stunning temples. What a great theme you choose! Your country is a pearl, and I would love to visit one day.
    Thank you for the mention 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Frederique. We would love you host you. If you do plan a trip to India, one day, please let me know.
      My pleasure. I've bookmarked some of your posts to try them out. :D

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on successfully completing this year's A2Z Challenge. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so glad I visited your blog today... I know I am late. Well, covid struck! And your reflections post... I topped the list... I can't believe. Right now I really hope that for this topping in the temples visiting list I garner some blessings for my family members back home who are down with covid 🙏. And thanks dear for making me smile amidst all the stress... A big big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweetheart, I hope you and your family gets well really, really soon. Please take care of your health and have medicines on time.
      I'll going to pray and remind them that they need to bless you and family with good health.
      I'm glad to have made you smile. Sending prayers, positive vibes, and loads of hugs. <3 <3

      Delete
  6. Dear Srivalli,
    I have enjoyed your posts so much that I cannot tell you. I have updated my bucket list of places to visit to just include a reference to your blog, so that all the places are included. Simple no? I need to see all the temples you have mentioned. The series brought out our countries richness in culture and architecture and variety. The message of "vasudaiva kutumbakam" is so beautifully brought out by these temples.

    This series has becomes one of those that need to be read multiple times.

    Congratulations on completing the A2Z with such a resounding success! Kudos! I have followed you, so I will be reading all that you write and I hope that you do!


    See you around!
    Cheers

    P.S.
    I am so much honored to be mentioned in your reflection! Just one thing though...... the link does not go to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meena, Thank you so much for your support.
      I'm so happy to know that you plan to visit all the places. Wishing you wonderful trips whenever you go.

      I do hope to write a little more often than last year. At least, I'll be doing book reviews, if not anything else.

      I also plan to visit blogs more often. hoping to read some lovely posts from you.

      P.S: I'm really sorry for the mix up. I've updated the link. Thank you for pointing it out.

      Stay safe
      Hugs,

      Delete
  7. Dear Srivalli,
    I have enjoyed your posts so much that I cannot tell you. I have updated my bucket list of places to visit to just include a reference to your blog, so that all the places are included. Simple no? I need to see all the temples you have mentioned. The series brought out our countries richness in culture and architecture and variety. The message of "vasudaiva kutumbakam" is so beautifully brought out by these temples.

    This series has becomes one of those that need to be read multiple times.

    Congratulations on completing the A2Z with such a resounding success! Kudos! I have followed you, so I will be reading all that you write and I hope that you do!


    See you around!
    Cheers

    P.S.
    I am so much honored to be mentioned in your reflection! Just one thing though...... the link does not go to my blog!

    ReplyDelete