Blog Archive

Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Stalker- Book Review

The Stalker by Sarah Alderson

Publication Date: 8th July 2021
Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Drama

 3.5 Stars 

Liam and Laura go to a remote island in Scotland for their honeymoon. It’s supposed to be only the two of them for a week. But soon, they discover that the island is haunted by a tragic past. Add to it, there seems to be another person sharing the island with them.

Who is this person? What do they want, and why are they stalking the couple? When did their perfect honeymoon turn into a deadly nightmare?

The book starts with Laura and Liam going to a local Scottish pub before heading off to the Island of Shura. The weather is gloomy and matches Laura’s mood. We come to know that she’s fighting the depression of losing her mother.

As the story progresses, Laura tells us her story as the couple explores the island’s ruined castle, chapel, burrows, beaches, and more. She feels someone stalking them, and soon enough, the evidence is visible as a craving on the window glass.

The narration is fast-paced though nothing much happens during the first few pages. The setting makes it easy to create an atmosphere of tension and fear. As a fan of Scotland-based stories, I was looking forward to reading this book. The cover added to the vibe, and I had quite a few expectations.

The author does tick a few boxes for a heady thriller. The plot had merit, and her narration was good enough to carry the story. However, towards the end, the plot losses steam. Of course, there needs to be a sort of closure, but it fell a little flat.

There’s a twist in the second half that explains the red flags I noticed in the first half. I can’t go into details because even the tiniest hint would be a spoiler. Suffice to say, I re-adjusted my guesses based on the hints the writer scattered around. 

I did find a few inconsistencies, though I’m not sure if they were deliberate or if the author missed them. If it’s the former, readers (thriller fans) would know the storyline before the twist is revealed.

I didn’t relate to the character, but that’s not uncommon. I don’t relate to a lot of them. And this one felt like I was watching a show on the screen. For a thriller, that’s not a bad thing. It just didn’t involve me as much as I would’ve liked.

Overall, the author did a decent job of creating a suspense thriller with the right atmosphere and good narration. 

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Avon Books UK and am voluntarily leaving a review.

#NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment