Blog Archive

Monday, September 3, 2018

Twinkling Star

The image is taken from google search

What is that I see? A twinkle!
Oh my! How beautiful a twinkle
it is! Can something so little
shine brighter than a star?

There it is again. The twinkle
now paired with another twinkle!
Like two lovers, close yet apart. Little
by little I creep forward to see the new star.

As I get closer to the twinkle
it shines brighter than my twinkle!
My tips shimmer in fury. Those little
eyes are competing with me, a star.

I glare at them, my twinkle
threatening to dim their twinkle.
Alas! Nothing happens. The little
eyes continue to dazzle like the star.

A sudden cloud hides my twinkle
I peek from behind, astonished to find the twinkle
dim and dull, lost in the dark night. A sad little
voice whispers far away, "The clouds stole my star."



This style is called The Golden Shovel. Interesting, right?
The words are taken from the famous nursery rhyme. I used only the first line in repetition. 

2 comments:

  1. My favorite was the twinkling lovers. It's challenging to repeat the same word so many times in a short piece and find new and interesting ways to present it to the reader. I thought the repetition made the word louder than the other vivid imagery in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nathan. Glad you are back. :)
      Having a word twice didn't exactly help, but this line stuck and I couldn't make myself choose another line. :)

      Delete