Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Where is the Moon

Credits: Getty Images

Mother promised the moon when I was three.
Father swore I'd be a queen at five.
Sister taunted I was an orphan on my seventh birthday.
Mary pledged she wouldn't reveal my crush in school.
Stella stole my assignment she borrowed for copying.
Rick whispered I was his first love during prom dance.
Elle said I was to be an artist as the show flopped.
Kirk vowed we'd be together forever on our wedding day.
The doctor assured my child would survive in the womb.
My son agreed to take me home from the asylum.
I'm still waiting for the moon...


The poem was written for a theme prompt 'deception'. 

6 comments:

  1. The first line is strong because we know the mother can't fulfill her promise even if she wanted nothing more. I like how each line makes the reader infer more about the narrator's life. I was a little confused on the deception of the doctor, though; the child obviously survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nathan.
      The doctor line was supposed to be one child while the son was another.
      I didn't make it clear, I guess.

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate your sense that even well-meaning reassurances can be deceptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some reassurances could really hurt the person in the long run. I wanted show how saying one thing and doing the opposite (especially in the later parts of the poem) would disturb a person.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. This demonstrates us how life is made up with all sorts of little deceptions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small things, not-so-small things... Always a part of life.
      Thank you.

      Delete