Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The Tarantula

The image is taken from Pinterest. 

Days became weeks
The fire continued to burn.

Weeks turned into months
Life refused to move on.

Months passed to years
The wait would be worth it.

She'd make sure to settle the score.

A life for a life-
The rule for the ordinary.

A life full of agony among love-
The rule of a tormented heart.

Oh! She knew she'd win;

The trap was laid
The bait was dangled.

The victim got snarled
This time was hers to play.

She danced with the grace of a tarantula.


The poem was written for a theme prompt- Vengeance. 

8 comments:

  1. You did a nice job of conveying the spider's emotions through this. It would have been nice to know what or who had wronged her so she felt she needed to seek vengeance, but you built the tension well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Asha. :)
      I wanted to be vague to have the mystery element in the poem.
      It was actually supposed to be a woman, not a spider.
      Tarantula dance was an inspiration from the A Doll's House by Isben. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with the comment above. The poem flows beautifully but it would've been more fun to know what had happened to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't comment on poems because I don't know what to say (shame on me). But you drew me in with the first four sentences (stanzas? lines? I have no idea). You got my attention and made me want to know more. I like the way you show the ongoing hurt and patience for revenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Myna. Honored that you liked it. :)

      Delete
  4. Your theme of vengeance came through clearly. “She made sure to settle the score.”

    ReplyDelete