Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Ode to Thunderstorm

The image is taken from Google and edited.

Oh! The blinding flash of lightning strikes again.
How the trees bow down in respect for the wind!
The lashing rain manages to soothe my soul
no sunshine could touch.

As the thunder echoes in my vacant heart,
the bolt that strikes a distant tree blinks at me.
Nature's vengeance they say. To me it is life
I cannot escape.

Thick dark clouds protecting me from the harsh sun
while the whirling wind carries with it the pain
into the realms of the unknown, my eyes blur
tears mixing with rain.



An attempt at Sapphic Ode with only syllable count and no scansion. 

6 comments:

  1. I liked the personification of the bolts of lightning and the trees. I wasn’t sure how to feel at the end. The voice of the narrator seems sad through most of it, but then the lightning winks and the last image is of a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm.. it was basically mixed emotions. Ultimately, the narrator decides to let go and enjoy. Hence the smile. Maybe another stanza would have made the transition easier. I'll work and add another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The narrator's confused emotions come through in this, but it's hard to feel connected to them because of that confusion. I do love the way you describe the trees bowing to the wind in respect! That was an especially vivid image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Asha. I made a few changes to maintain the mood throughout. :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent use of the prompt and the ode - you are far braver than me to attempt this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheney. I went for the simplest version. I always manage to mess up the scansion. :)

      Delete