Blog Archive

Monday, January 22, 2018

The Avenger


The Avenger

Cold, unseen stranger,
stalked about, 
touching,
with icy fingers.

Over his victims,
his feet trod slowly,
hardly fair game,
the people lining-up.

A man?Is a man worth-
It is weakness.
Whenever begins count,
subtract a chance of ten. 



The above page is from a story called The Last Leaf, by O Henry. I couldn't get the exact page on the internet, so I took a picture of the page and circled the words. The book is titled, "100 Selected Stories" by O Henry.


The image is taken from Pixabay and edited. 

6 comments:

  1. The first two stanzas of this are chilling. Very fitting title. I was a bit lost at the wording of the last two lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is meant to tell about the killings. Whenever he begins to count the remaining, one loses a chance at life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those first two stanzas are perfect. Cold, horrifying, dark... They really captured a mood and they sounded like they just fit so easily together. The last stanza though was so abstract, I am not sure what it is saying. Perhaps there for me there are too many words in that last bit? Take with a grain of salt...I'm no poet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I thought I did not add enough words in the last stanza. I see it know, it doesn't make the intent clear. I agree, it is a bit vague.
      Thank you for still liking it though. :)

      Delete
  4. I was also a little lost with the last stanza but oooooooh - what a great tone. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I thought adding too many words might kind of spoil the poem, but I should have used another word or two to make it better.
      Well, a lesson learnt. :)

      Delete