Blog Archive

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Tasty Tiffin: 40+ Delicious and Healthy Lunch Box Ideas for Kids by Archana Doshi - Book Review

Publication Date: 02nd May 2024

Genre: Nonfiction; Cooking and Food

4 Stars

One Liner: Tasty indeed!


The title, Tasty Tiffin, is self-explanatory. The book is a collection of 40+ recipes for breakfast and tea-time meals for kiddos who go to school. I’m no mom, but I love to cook (not clean).

Moreover, the cover reminded me of my school days when I would plead with my mother to give me something different in the box instead of the same old stuff. But, you see, time constraints made it difficult for her, and back then, there was no social media to give her FOMO about the artsy lunch boxes shared by other parents. Of course, I got hot meals in my lunchboxes during college, and my friends loved it! They would even send their ‘requests’ through me. My mother’s curd rice was a favorite. She would pack two full (stuffed) boxes so that 6+ people would have enough to eat.

Anyhoo, I did get a copy of the book along with a set of meal planner sheets. Oh, boy! Those will be lifesavers for busy parents. I’ve shared a picture to show how neatly it has been formatted.

But hey, a recipe book has to be reviewed based on the recipes. So, naturally, I tried a few of those. I know many of these and so will a lot of parents since the food is familiar to us. However, the recipes vary from one house to another, so having another version is a bonus.

What I like the best about the book is the food combinations. Since parents need to pack a wholesome meal for their kids, they need more than just idli, dosa, or parantha. That’s where the book shines. The author has provided recipes in twos and threes per lunch box. For example, Lemon Rice, Stir-Fry Broccoli, and Curd form one tiffin box recipe. Parents don’t have to pair the recipes or mix-and-match unless they want to. This could save time when planning the meals and gathering the ingredients.

The introduction is short and to the point. The author highlights the need for a balanced diet and hints at ways to include proteins, carbs, fruits, etc., into the child’s diet. There is no fluff anywhere. Each recipe starts with a short note with tips and suggestions. The ingredients are neatly listed, followed by the process in clear, simple steps. The language is easy to understand. You can skim through and start cooking right away (if you are used to it).


Another advantage of the book is that the meals have been carefully put together to provide tasty and nutritious intake for little ones. Humans need many vitamins and minerals, and kids with growing bodies need a wholesome diet to be healthy and active. The book helps parents achieve this through the recipes. It’ll be trial and error based on your kids’ tastes, so start with what they like and take it from there.

Now, before I end the review, here are the recipes I tried at home and enjoyed.

Black Chana Salad (I make this sometimes and pretty much follow the same recipe)

Desi Masala Pasta (my kinda recipe again, but sans the gravy I usually add)


Veggie Uttapam (I mix the veggies into the batter instead of using them as toppings)


Tasty Paniyaram (buy the paniyaram pan if you don’t have one already. It is a useful thing to have in your kitchen.)


Green Moong Dal Pulao (new to me; tasted good)  


Cauliflower Curry (pretty much the recipe we use at home)


To summarize, Tasty Tiffin is a compact little book neatly structured into different sections and with easy recipes. The full-page color pictures are a bonus! This would make a great addition to your kitchen or a good gift to parents. Go grab a copy of Tasty Tiffin on Amazon!

You bet I’m saving the book to experiment on my future kids’ tiffin boxes (this wasn’t supposed to sound threatening!).

Thank you, Blogchatter, author Archana Doshi, and publisher HarperCollins India, for a copy of the book. This review is powered by the Blogchatter Book Review Program and contains my honest opinion about the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment