Blog Archive

Sunday, December 20, 2020

The Red Dirt Hymnbook- Book Review

The Red Dirt Hymnbook by Roxie Faulkner Kirk

Genre: Historical Fiction, Domestic Christian Drama
3.2 Stars 


Ruby Fae McKeever understands at last that marrying JW and living on a bus with his parents was not a good idea. She and her almost one-year-old baby girl are feeling suffocated. Ruby is cut off from her family, abused in the name of being learning to be a dutiful Christian and an obedient wife. Her husband can never come out from his father’s influence. Ruby can’t live with them anymore. She needs to go home. But when? And most importantly, how?

The premise of the book was excellent. The cover was perfect. I was rooting for Ruby from the very first page of the book. But guess what? It took her until the last page to get there. I never it wasn’t going to be easy. There would be pressure, manipulation, and abuse. After all, those who preach are the last ones to follow it.

But what disappointed me was the way the story went on and on. Even the 250 pages seemed like a lot at one point in time. There is too much stream of consciousness in the narration. Stories from the past pop into the storyline at random. Ruby keeps getting distracted at the slightest hint. I did like some of those, but they stretched the original plotline more than necessary.

And Ruby’s wavering mind wasn’t any help either. While it seemed realistic that her plans would go wrong, I just wished she put up more fight. Even towards the end, it wasn’t her who takes charge of the situation. At some point, she had to learn and stop being stupid, but she doesn’t.

Reading about abuse is never easy, and this book was no exception. It only made me want to knock some sense into Ruby and ask her to use her brain.

Finally, when I thought it was going to end, there came another flashback story. Not sure how it would help as I felt nothing change in me towards any of the characters.

Overall, the theme deserved better treatment and tighter editing. The story has a happy ending, and well, the book did evoke emotions in me, so it’s a decent read. I just wish it was even better.

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am sharing this review voluntarily.

#BookSirens 

2 comments: