Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Eliza Mace by Sarah Burton and Jem Poster - Book Review

Series: Eliza Mace Mysteries #1

Publication Date: 07th March 2024

Genre: YA Historical Mystery 

2.5 Stars 

One Liner: Ugh! 

1870s, Welsh Borders

Eliza, aka Elizabeth Mace, is sixteen+, an age her mother says is when she becomes a woman and is no longer a child. Her parents’ marriage and the crumbling house stifle Eliza. She longs to free herself and become independent. However, her father goes missing (and is drowning in debt), and Eliza decides to dig deeper to find out what happened. She works with her new friend, a police constable, Dafydd Pritchard, and realizes that the truth could have devastating consequences. 

The story comes in Eliza’s third-person POV. 

My Thoughts: 

Well, this is exactly why I do not consider the book comparisons in the blurb. However, I have a thing for historical mysteries, and when I saw ‘Enola Holmes’ mentioned, I decided to try this book. Sadly, this is nothing like Enola. 

I am okay with dark cozy mysteries, but there has to be something to keep me hooked on the plot. Here, almost every character feels off. While I appreciate the attempt to make them layered, the characters end up even more superficial and unlikeable. 

We have a toxic dysfunctional family, which should make me care for poor Eliza. Yet, I couldn’t feel for any of them. The side characters aren’t better either (except for little Jevan, maybe). 

There is no humor (zero) or a lighthearted scene. That’s okay. Not mandatory for me. However, the mystery isn’t great either. I did expect it to start late, so I wasn’t too annoyed. The investigation is okay, but nothing to elevate the book or cover up the flaws. 

Somehow, all characters call each other using their first names (irrespective of the status/ position). Also, we have a constable acting like an FBI (or UK equivalent) in disguise while the Sergeant is happy to let him handle the case. 

Though I like the friendship between the constable and Eliza, I can’t help but feel something off. For one, he is nine years older and has policing experience in the city. His approach and dedication cannot be faulted, but would a constable constantly seek a young girl (no matter how smart she is) to help solve the crime? Moreover, he shares his entire past with her on the second meeting. Huh… why?

I understand Eliza’s need for independence and her frustration with adults who want her to act like a grownup but treat her like a child. That part comes out clearly, which is a plus (thank god). 

After the initial slowness, the book picks up speed. A few scenes with the investigation are well done and kept me interested enough to finish the book. The ending is a sort of cliffhanger (with the mystery fully solved), but I say goodbye here. 

To summarize, Eliza Mace reads like a below-average play where I had the front-row seats. That’s sad because the plot had the potential to be an intense mystery (if not a cozy). 

Thank you, NetGalley and Duckworth Books, for the eARC. 

#NetGalley #ElizaMace 


No comments:

Post a Comment