Blog Archive

Monday, October 23, 2023

Mad Sisters of Esi by Tashan Mehta - Book Review

Publication Date: 29th Sep 2023

Genre: Fantasy 

4.5 Stars 

One Liner: A fever dream that makes sense! 

Myung and Laleh are the keepers of the whale of babel. They were created by the Great Wisa and know no one else. When Myung’s curiosity takes her away from the whale, it sets in motion for the worlds from different times to collide. Her adventure is a bridge between the pasts and the presents. 

Myung and Laleh uncover the secrets of the island of Ojda. They also stumble upon the mystery hidden for centuries -the mad sisters of Esi. Somewhere in this quest, the sisters might find a way back to each other. 

The story comes in multiple POVs and snippets from research papers, diary entries, books, articles, etc. 

My Thoughts: 

The premise and the cover intrigued me enough to try for a copy. I loved the cover even more after holding the paperback (the picture doesn’t do full justice to how beautiful it looks). 

NGL, I was wary when I read the first 40-50 pages. The plot seemed extravagant and intricate. Combined with beautiful prose, it could be a hit or a horrible flop. Luckily, the stars were in my favor (as you can see from the rating). 

This is the kind of book best read in the physical format (at least for me). I’m glad I got the paperback, even if the font size is slightly small. The pacing is slow but steady and cannot be rushed. Nor can you skim it and miss something important. 

Moreover, the narration frequently blends different POVs. It jumps from third-person to second-person and breaks the fourth wall at times. However, none of them distracted me. In fact, it pulled me deeper into the setting and made me an integral part of the story. 

The book is one of those rare ones where I could even hear the characters speak at times and not just visualize it in my mind. Maybe it is due to the format chosen. The dialogues between the main characters are not in quotes but in italics, as if they listen to each other’s minds rather than speak them out loud. It should have been annoying (I’m picky), but it suits the characters. I also marked quite a few quotes for the sheer beauty of the prose and the weight of emotions behind the words. 

The book predominantly deals with sisterly bonding. The sisters are not related by blood, but their love for each other is so deep, poignant, and intense that the reader has no choice but to be swept away by it. 

However, this isn’t a book to look for logic. Not everything is explained since even the characters don’t know the answers. It’s where you go with the flow from start to finish and learn as the characters do. Some questions will remain unanswered. Needless to say, this won’t work for everyone (I’m surprised it worked for me). 

I absolutely love the setting, be it inside of the whale of babel or the islands of Ojda and Esi. Nature is entwined with humans to an extent where the lines blur many times. The same goes for magic. As someone who loves forests and all things mystical, I couldn’t have asked for more. 

The characters stand out and crave space for themselves, even if most have limited roles. There are five main characters, all of them women. Each is different from the other but with enough similarities to draw parallels between their lives. 

I don’t read much of high fantasy since most books are super large and run into series. Fortunately, this is a standalone and not a very big book, though it requires high concentration levels. While it is enjoyable, it also demands you to pay full attention and not miss any details. That’s tough since I read at night, and my energy levels are already down. Still, I managed (and ended up being behind on my reading schedule). 

There are a couple of triggers, though nothing major. However, madness is one of the core themes. It is done well, but you may want to read a sample first if you are wary of this theme. 

The ending is heartbreaking and poignant. It aligns with the storyline and leaves it high up there at the top of the cliff. I’m not a fan of sad (but maybe hopeful) endings, but I wouldn’t want anything else for this story. It’s perfect. 

To summarize, Mad Sisters of Esi is an ambitious plot presented in a complex format. However, the end result is satisfying, impactful, and heart-touching. I can’t say who will enjoy this one. You have to decide for yourselves. 

Thank you, Blogchatter, author Tashan Mehta, and publisher HarperCollins India, for a copy of the book. This review is powered by the Blogchatter Book Review Program and contains my honest opinion about the book. 

You can buy the paperback of the Mad Sisters of Esi on Amazon

***

P.S.: I don’t know if the book is supposed to be some sort of allegory or a metaphor. I enjoyed it for what it is. Any ‘deep social’ interpretations, if present, flew over my head. 

***

TW: Parental death, death, madness, possible self-harm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment