Blog Archive

Thursday, May 4, 2023

Nonna Maria and the Case of the Stolen Necklace by Lorenzo Carcaterra - Book Review

Series: Nonna Maria #2 (Standalone)

Publication Date: 02nd May 2023

Genre: Cozy Mystery, Contemporary 

4 Stars 

One Liner: Entertaining and fast-paced 

*****

Nonna Maria has to deal with not one but two cases in this book. First, her goddaughter is accused of stealing an expensive necklace by a guest in the hotel she works. Second, the dead body of an unknown woman is found in the corner of a road. 

Since Nonna Maria’s young friend thinks he killed her by mistake, she is set to find out who the woman was and what she was doing in Ischia. Though the little island is overflowing with tourists, this woman sure isn’t one of them. 

It’s up to Nonna Maria to solve both cases and help the local carabinieri, Captain Paolo Murino. 

The story comes in the third person POV. 

My Thoughts: 

I’m always happy to try a cozy mystery, and this one turned out to be quite satisfying (despite a few minor issues). 

Though this is the second book in the series, I didn’t feel as if I missed much. It works very well as a standalone. 

The writing is simple and easy to read. I could finish the book in 1.5 days (which is always a plus). The plot has two threads, and both move at a good pace. 

Nonna Maria is the Italian and sterner version of Miss Marple. She is quick-witted, independent, and has a fixed approach to things. She is very matter-of-fact in her dealings but is also a loving woman who helps others however she can. 

The cases, as such, are a little too easily solved. Some of it seems to stretch things a bit. This can be an issue for some readers. I know it would bother me, too, but I feel it fits the setting. 

I love the island and its old-world charm. Despite the changing times, the island seems to have not completely adapted. This applies to the good and bad things. My favorite parts are about the thought process of the islanders (which isn’t that different from the rest of the world), the hypocrisy and gender bias, and yet the affection they have for each other. 

Another plus point is that Captain Muniro respects Nonna Maria. He follows the rules of his job but also works with the old lady to solve the cases. No unwanted animosity here. 

Since the book is set in Italy (my second cozy series from the country!), it has to have mentions of delicious food. I’m tempted to try Nonna Maria’s coffee recipe (though I’ll have to exclude one ingredient, lol). All those episodes of David Rocco’s Dolce Vita made it easier to know the dishes. 

Our septuagenarian sleuth seems almost invincible at times. I don’t know how she gets so much cooking done (I love to cook but not as much as she does) and has the energy to solve cases. But yeah, they don’t make people like that anymore, so it kinda feels realistic too. 

The book ends with a lead to the next book, and I am totally excited to read it. Book three sounds like it will up the danger levels. What else does a reader want? ;) 

To summarize, Nonna Maria and the Case of the Stolen Necklace is a delightful cozy mystery with a beautiful setting and intriguing characters. Pick it up when you want something light and breezy but with some food for thought. 

Thank you, NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, and Bantam, for the eARC. 

#NonnaMariaandtheCaseoftheStolenNecklace #NetGalley

***

P.S.: I’m not sure why I was worried this would be a slow read. It’s faster than most cozy mysteries I’ve read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment