Blog Archive

Monday, April 24, 2023

Six - Strange Stories of Love by Poornima Manco - Book Review

Publication Date: 24th April 2023

Genre: Short Stories, Drama 

4 Stars 

One Liner: A worthy collection of tales about 'love' 


Six - Strange Stories of Love is a collection of six stories dealing with different types of love. The blurb emphasizes that these are not romance-based and explore the various facets of the emotion called love. There’s also a list of trigger warnings in the blurb, so please check them out (I appreciate this inclusion). 

Each story is set in a different country and deals with one or more themes. I’ve read the author’s stories before I know she writes well. However, no collection will be perfect. I like some stories more than others. 

Here’s a brief review of each story in the book. 

Hair (India) – 3.5 Stars

The story is set in Kerala (South India) and deals with how a family handles the unexpected changes that occur in their lives. The start and middle are solid. The narration suits the voice of a teenage girl from a town (possibly set in the late 1980s). The emotions are raw and relatable. However, the ending slides into a predictable trope I seem to find in short stories by Indian writers. 

Gyan Time: Many temples in India do allow entry to non-Hindus. That’s why you can find news about some of them being arrested or kicked out for sharing pamphlets about the benefits of converting to other religions. Some temples like Puri Jagannath don’t allow non-Hindus due to the violent history associated with them. Even Somnath temple was invaded and razed 17 times, and rebuilt 18 times. The current temple was built in 1951, ordered by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. 

The Fake Rolex (Italy) – 4 Stars 

The story deals with a non-healthy kind of love and has a story within a story (interconnected to complete the picture). I’m placing it close to the late historical era. The concept and execution are very interesting. The reader has to use the story and observations to fill the gaps. I like how it ends (open-ended) as it suits the character perfectly. However, I find something missing here. I’m unable to pinpoint it, but there’s a nagging sensation of not finding a vital element. Sorry, I can’t be more specific here. 

Karoline (USA) – 3.5 Stars 

What connects two people from different parts of society? This love is more along the lines of companionship, something essential for a human being. The plot is actually good, and the ending is just right. However, there’s too much philosophy and musing. The author seems to have this habit of going off tangent and asking philosophical questions (I remember the same happening in a couple of other stories). Since I tend to zone out, I had to speed-read here and there to stay with the core plot. 

The Purple Ribbon (Mexico) – 4 Stars 

This story falls into the supernatural category (horror) and combines a Mexican legend with the author’s plot. The main characters are etched and established very well. The supernatural scenes are also done well. Given my preferences, I’m a little (a lot) disappointed about the climax and the ending. This could be due to the choice of POV, which doesn’t allow the readers to ‘see’ what happens to the other character (something I wanted). Though I like the ending, I’m not fully satisfied either. 

A New Place (UK) – 5 Stars 

I don’t give too many 5 stars, but this one made me teary-eyed, so I need to round it up. The story can be confusing in the beginning but go with the flow. Everything will be clear midway through. The ending is perfect! It’s a dark story with triggers but definitely worth reading. My favorite in the collection. 

La Dolorosa (Spain) – 4.5 Stars 

I guess you can call this a ‘love story’ in many ways. It is as dramatic as the main character (a famous soprano) but without being OTT or overwhelming. The conversation in the climax hits the mark and brings together the different elements of the story. The best part is the ending, which allows the reader to close the book with a soft smile. 

To summarize, Six - Strange Stories of Love is a worthy collection of tales about love and its numerous forms. It blends an array of emotions and themes using varied characters. You might like the collection more if you read one story at a time. 

Thank you, NetGalley and BooksGoSoical, for the eARC. 

#NetGalley #SixStrangeStoriesofLove

*****

TW: Mental health issues, suicide, death, transphobia, mention of miscarriage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment