Blog Archive

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Found Object by Anne Frasier - Book Review

Found Object by Anne Frasier

Genre: Contemporary Thriller, Drama 

2.5 Stars 

One Liner: Great premise but failed to keep me interested 

*****


Jupiter’s mother, Marie Nova, a celebrated TV actress, was murdered twenty years ago. Jupiter has moved on and built a life for herself as an investigative journalist. When her latest expose affects her, Jupiter is sent back to Savannah to write a piece about a cosmetic company’s 100th-year celebrations. 

However, the trip back home makes Jupiter question everything in the past and her life. As she starts to dig into the details of her mother’s death, Jupiter is left with more questions and unconvincing details. The killer’s confession doesn’t seem right, and there are too many gaps in the details. 

Can Jupiter get to the bottom of the case and find the closure she desperately needs to have a normal life? 

The story comes from Jupiter’s first-person POV and another character’s third-person POV. 

My Thoughts: 

The premise intrigued me, and the page count was right in my zone. The beginning was good, too, despite the slow pacing. However, I lost interest even before I touched the halfway mark. 

Jupiter was a cool character, willing to acknowledge her vulnerabilities and smart enough to connect the dots (though she does make a few mistakes). However, the first-person narration didn’t move me. It couldn’t feel involved in the story.

A few scenes were unbelievable and pretty much unrealistic (at least to me). Also, there wasn’t much backstory to justify the scenes. 

Poppy was an adorable character and my favorite in the book. The others were left unexplored almost throughout. Even Jupiter doesn’t have much depth once you realize how things stand. 

I knew about the excessive twists towards the end (thanks to other reviews) and was prepared for them. Yet, I found them a little too much. The whole of it somehow felt melodramatic, though things easily work Jupiter one way or another. 

To summarize, Found Object didn’t appeal to me as much as I thought it would (and this is when I already went with low expectations). I enjoy thrillers of most kinds, but I just couldn’t make myself care about this one. 

Thank you, NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer, for the eARC. 

#NetGalley #FoundObject 

No comments:

Post a Comment