Blog Archive

Thursday, August 18, 2022

The Lost Notebook by Louise Douglas - Book Review

The Lost Notebook by Louise Douglas

Publication Date: 05th Sep 2022

Genre: Contemporary Mystery 

3.5 Stars 

One Liner: Slow Burn Drama 

*****


Morranez is a perfect seaside town in Brittany. It’s a great place for locals, visitors, and tourists. But the death of a gypsy camper woman and the subsequent hate campaign against the leading archeologist stir trouble. 

Mila has put her life on hold to care for her niece, Ani after Sophia died. Mila lives with Ani in The Sea Side home (Sophia’s home) and takes over her job at the family agency. Though Mila is weighed down by too many responsibilities, she cannot help but dig deeper about the dead woman. 

But things are more complicated than they appear. With police disinterested in the case and danger mounting from all sides, Mila has no choice but to uncover the truth, even if it means risking her life and Ani’s. Can Mila find the truth someone is desperate to hide? 

The story comes from the limited person POV for Mila. 

What I Like: 

The story is set in a small French town, which suits the plot perfectly and adds to the atmosphere.

Mila’s character is well-etched. I love that she is not too happy to handle the responsibility of her sister’s child but also loves the kid. I may not connect with her, but I could empathize with her. 

Sophia, despite being dead, is a constant part of the book. Sometimes in a good way, and sometimes in a not-so-good way. Still, she does create an impact on the reader. 

I got to know about something from history I didn’t know before. Not revealing to avoid spoilers. I also like how the author didn’t use the event to preach but wove it naturally with the plot. 

The plot is multilayered and never confusing. This is one of those few books I don’t mind for the slow pacing. I felt invested in the plot almost throughout. 

What Didn’t Work for Me:

I have a thing for endings, and this book gave me mixed feelings. As much as I don’t need HEA, I still like to have things tied up (unless there will be a sequel). 

The main mystery part is solved, but the rest is left to the reader’s interpretation. Furthermore, the ending sentence has string vibes of a sequel (and I still don’t know if there will be one). When I read a 350-page book, I like to close with a sense of satisfaction or sadness (but not disappointed about the lack of resolution). This is a personal pet peeve (so you might like the ending more than I did). 

The build-up to the climax was stronger than the climax itself. This dampened things a bit. Things happened a little too fast and were over before I could feel the impact/ tension. 

The writing is beautiful, but the overall story feels like it has a lot more potential. I wanted more about the past (Sophia, Mila, & Carter). That ‘drama’ isn’t enough if you know what I mean. 

Not sure if Mila has alcohol issues. She doesn’t drink constantly, but when she does, it seems like she goes overboard. I’m a teetotaler, but I don’t think someone who wants to research something crucial on the internet (and read dozens of pages) will continue to top her wine glass and drink to the point where she doesn’t remember her conservations with another person. 

Ani acts pretty much like a teenager (she is fourteen). I don’t mind it, but I sure wished for more depth in her character arc, especially since she showed the signs of being a complex personality. 

To summarize, The Lost Notebook is a slow-burn mystery set in an atmospheric location and great premise. Pick it up if you want to read beautiful writing with a decent mystery. 

Thank you, NetGalley and Boldwood Books, for the eARC.  

#TheLostNotebook #NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment