Blog Archive

Saturday, March 13, 2021

The Choice I Made- Book Review

The Choice I Made by Cynthia Ellingsen

Genre: Women’s Fiction, Contemporary
4.2 Stars

The Choice I Made is the story of Julie, who has to make more than one decision in a relatively short time. The book also deals with the choices another person was forced to make and how that changed the current events.

Told from Julie’s perspective, the book highlights the importance of family, support, and having a loving partner. Most of the characters are well-etched though the two crucial ones didn’t get enough space.

It is easy to invest in the characters and feel for them. The author has us hooked from the first page, and we keep rooting for the ones we love. Julie is confused, frustrated, and even terrified at times. But she doesn’t ramble or act like a nitwit. Not once did she come across as stupid. In fact, no character is a caricature, even the unlikable Tristan, Julie’s husband. He has many faults, but he is not a villain or a disgusting two-dimensional man.

I found myself wanting to read faster and know what happens next. The writing holds the readers’ interest, and that, for me is a huge plus.

Overall, this is a bittersweet book with a happy ending about life, choices, and love.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Bookouture and am voluntarily leaving a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment