Blog Archive

Friday, October 30, 2020

The Lost Village- Book Review

 The Lost Village by Daniela Sacerdoti

Publication Date: 16th Nov 2020
Genre: Historical fiction, Women’s fiction

3.9 Stars

“An emotional World War Two historical romance set in Italy”- this is the tagline of the book.

The story deals with Luce (pronounced Lu- Chay), a 43-year-old woman, who goes to Bosconero, a small village in Italy, to trace her roots. With her mother refusing to answer her questions, her 19-year-old son away at Photography School. Separated from her husband for three years, Luce is determined to know why her mother has erased her past.

She meets Matilde on the internet and flies to Italy (from Seattle) to meet her and connect with her Nonna and Uncle. A disastrous earthquake destroys most of the village and the nearby hamlets. There are tragedies and trauma everywhere. Luce is fighting her instincts (and her family) to not run away to safety. Ethan’s sudden entry surprises her in many ways. She needs to know what happened.

What she uncovers has a much bigger effect than she realizes, but can there possibly be a happy ending, even if it bittersweet? What about her future with Ethan? Is there one?

The cover, the blurb, and the setting made the decision for me. I had to read this book. To a great extent, I’m glad I did. The descriptions, the imagery, and details of the setting were vivid and wonderful. Watching David Rocco’s shows explore Italy, I’ve been fascinated by its countryside. I could picturize the villages, the houses, the people, and streets as I read the book.

Some of the characters are well-etched, especially Luce (she is also the narrator), Matilde, Massimo, Angelina (Luce’s mom), and Nonna. Nonna takes the cake for the number of layers she has. Until the end, we are surprised by the turns in her character. She is the core of the plot. She holds it all together, and in a strange way (no spoilers).

Other characters like Carlo and Ethan had more scope, but being women’s fiction, I suppose the focus was more on the ladies. The story goes into flashbacks in between (easy to follow) and gives us more information.

What I liked was the portrayal of Luce after the earthquake. It’s realistic without being dramatic and overwhelming. She simply doesn’t decide she wants to stay. That doesn’t happen, does it? Her internal conflict, her confusion, her anguish, and her desperation are human and true.

The story is paced well but became a bit too rushed towards the end. The actual reveal was immediately followed by another incident that soon flows into the conclusion and an epilogue. I wish this was paced better. As a reader, I’ve been invested in their lives (the writing is very good and flows beautifully) and wanted to let each incident sink into my memory.

A little more breathing space at that place, and I’d have happily given the story a 4.2 or maybe even more. I had high hopes by then. This is the first book by the author I’ve read, but I’ll be reading more for sure. I like the writing style. Luce has a lot of thoughts; she does express them but doesn’t ramble on and on.

There isn’t much about WW II, though it does play its role in the story. The story focuses on the characters, and the effects of war are just one aspect. It’s the humans who make decisions, and that’s the basis of the story.

Being an uncorrected copy, it had a few typos. Nothing that hindered my reading.

Overall, this is a beautiful book, one that touches various topics and ultimately leaves us with a soft smile.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Bookouture.

#TheLostVillage #NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment