Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Still Waters

Painting by Mrs. Ratna Pochiraju


The reflection froze for eternity
The silver lake refused to ripple
Was it sharing my grief?
Mourning the loss of my soul mate.

The silver lake refused to ripple
Not a fish nor a reed in sight
Mourning the loss of my soul mate
Leaving me alone in the eerie silence.

Not a fish nor a reed in sight
The sun too hid behind the gray clouds
Leaving me alone in the eerie silence.
Mirroring my anguish and lost love.

The sun too hid behind the gray clouds
Was it sharing my grief?
Mirroring my anguish and lost love.
The reflection froze for eternity. 



The poem is written in Pantoum style from the POV of the swan.

8 comments:

  1. Loved "The sun, too, hid behind the gray clouds." It made it seem like nature was conspiring to make this painting possible for the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting. The poem structure's mirroring of lines, I think, went well with the reflection in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Laissesz. You have an interesting name. :)

      Delete
  3. I thought this was very effective. All of nature standing still with someone frozen in grief. I felt so sad for the swan that lost its mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jen! There's something so frozen about the painting, it made me write this piece.

      Delete
  4. "The silver lake refused to ripple" is so evocative. The alliteration here works really well to reflect the sense of hushed silence and chill of the painting.

    ReplyDelete